What to bring to uni?
The Complete University Checklist
For Home and International Students
Hi there, new student! First off, congratulations on securing a place to study at Cardiff University. We are very proud of you! You should be too. We are very excited to welcome you into the university and residences! As part of our welcome induction, we have created this checklist that includes what you will need to bring to YOUR NEW ROOM to make it feel as homely and personal as possible!
Very importantly, do not forget to bring things to decorate your room and make it your own personal space! For many of you, this might be the first time you are not sharing a room. So, if you have ever dreamed of having your own room to do with it whatever you want, now is your chance (if you abide by Residence guidelines)! Of course, you can buy new things for your room, but we also think it would be really nice if you bring some stuff from your own room back home and put them in your Uni room! This can help make you feel much more settled, relaxed and “at home”.
- Passport, ID, driving license
- University acceptance letter
- Residences offer
- Arrival confirmation
- Bank account details
- Student finance and loan documentation (typically for Home students)
- Scholarship and bursary letters
- National Insurance number
- NHS number
- Health and immunisation records, including prescription copies
- Insurance documents such as National health surcharge documentation (for international students)
- Student discount and travel cards (16-25 railcard, NUS railcard)
For your room:
- Duvet and cover
- Pillow and cover
- Blanket (a warm one for when it gets cold!)
- Bed sheets (preferably 2 to have 1 on standby at all times)
- Mattress protector/topper for extra comfort
- Laundry basket
- Clothes hangers
- Over door hooks (these can go over your bathroom door (if you have an ensuite) to hang your extra jackets or towels).
- Slippers/flip-flops (particularly if you share a bathroom)
- Pins (to stick notes and papers onto the noticeboard in your room)
- Desk lamp
- Electric socket extension cable
- Alarm clock (having an alarm clock by your bedside means you are less likely to use your phone before you sleep and when you wake!)
- Ear plugs
- Posters, maps, pictures
- Fairy lights (one of the most popular additions to student rooms, but make sure to get the ones that run on batteries and are not stuck with adhesive as those are the ones allowed in halls!)
* Beds are single beds.
* With regards to bedding, unless you order a bedding pack from the university, your room will not have any bedding in it upon your arrival except for the mattress.
* For international students, it is advisable you buy a bedding pack online from the university. It includes: 1 x bed sheet, 1 x pillow, 1 x pillow cover, 1 x duvet, 1 x duvet cover, 1 x hand towel, 1 x body towel. If you do buy one, then upon your arrival, you will receive it from your accommodation reception, or it will already be placed in your room. It is particularly advisable to get a bedding pack if you are going to arrive in Cardiff late in the evening as by then stores would have closed and you cannot go out and buy bedding material. You do not want to spend your first night in Cardiff sleeping on a bare mattress!
For your bathroom:
- Toothbrush, toothpaste
- Shampoo, shower gel
- Towels (for hand and body)
- Bathrobe (particularly useful if in a shared bathroom flat)
- Toilet rolls
- Bathroom cleaning supplies (rubber gloves, toilet liquid cleaner)
* A toilet brush should be already provided in your bathroom.
For your kitchen:
- Cutlery (tablespoons, teaspoons, forks, and knives)
- Plate, bowl, cup/mug
- Sharp knife, peeler, grater
- Can opener, bottle opener
- Spatula, wooden spoon, ladle
- Colander, strainer
- Chopping board
- Saucepan, frying pan
- Oven roasting dish, baking tray
- Oven mitts
- Tin foil paper (or baking paper), cling film
- Storage containers/Tupperware (particularly important if you want to cook for several days and store food, or to pack your lunchtime meal when at university).
- Washing up liquid and sponge
- Metal dish scrubber (for grease removal)
- Tea towel
* For international students: while it is up to you, we do not advise you bring kitchen utensils, cutlery, and crockery from your home country and pack them in your luggage. There are multiple places from where you could do that type of shopping here in Cardiff when you arrive, including IKEA and Wilko. It will definitely save you some luggage space!
The following items will ALREADY be provided in your kitchen/flat:
- Iron and ironing board
- Electric vacuum
- Dustpan and brush, broom
- Mop and bucket
- Trash, recycling, and glass bins
As long as you don’t destroy anything in the room, or put something that will stay there permanently and keep it in good condition you should be okay. Also, sticking things onto walls with blue tack or adhesive is not allowed, but you do have a big noticeboard that you can stick stuff onto!
- Read Next
- My Uni Hall experience My experience of Cartwright Court Living in North Campus Living in South Campus My Taly South Experience My experience of Taly North Virtual Cook-along: Chicken & Mushroom Pie Movie Night - Chinese Valentine's Day What to bring to uni? End of Summer Feedback Chats
- Catering in residences Meet the Team: Cartwright Court RLAs Vegan recipes to try: Pesto & vegetable tart Setting up a bank account Staying safe in halls with COVID Vegan recipes to try: Tofu 'egg' scramble Vegan recipes to try: Mushroom and pepper burgers First year survival guide for International Students How to...laundry Where to buy essential items