Vegan recipes to try: Tofu 'egg' scramble
While the current situation may not be the best time for another radical change in lifestyle, if you are thinking of reducing your dairy and egg consumption, then one good place to start is to ‘veganise’ your favourite foods. This does not have to mean regularly buying expensive, very processed vegan meat replacements, although there are some fantastic ones out there to have as a treat every now and then. Instead, you could try using new ingredients and food combinations that are cheap and relatively easy to find. Below are some suggestions for a place to start.
Tofu ‘egg’ scramble
- 100g of firm tofu
- 100ml of oat milk (but any plant milk will do)
- Pinch of salt
- Chilli flakes
- Onion/Garlic powder
- 2tbsp grated dairy-free cheese
- 1.5tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- Dash of oil for frying
Optional, for serving:
- Cherry tomatoes
- Sliced cucumbers
- Heat up a pan and add the oil.
- Drain the tofu very well and break it down in small chunks with your hands.
- Add tofu to the pan and fry for 4-5 minutes.
- Separately, mix the spices (plus the nutritional yeast, if you want) in the oat milk, and add the mixture to the pan. Mix well and let it simmer down until almost all the liquid has gone.
- Then, fold in the grated cheese, and cook for 2 more minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Enjoy with a cup of oat milk latte and plenty of veg!
- Read Next
- Draw, Paint and De-stress! Series Recommendations for Down Time! Upcoming Therapeutic Groups Mental Health Meet Up Time for a Memory Quiz! 5 apps that your uni email gives you extended access to Small changes to reduce your plastic consumption Online Ramadan Iftar 5 jaw dropping hikes around South Wales Women's History Month in Review
- Meet the Team: Cartwright Court RLAs Vegan recipes to try: Pesto & vegetable tart Setting up a bank account Staying safe in halls with COVID Vegan recipes to try: Tofu 'egg' scramble How to...laundry Vegan recipes to try: Mushroom and pepper burgers Catering in residences First year survival guide for International Students Where to buy essential items