Talybont North Student Guide
Talybont residences are the largest and most populated residences at Cardiff university. They are spread over a large area with almost all the facilities on site. The Talybont Campus is divided in four different sections: Talybont Gate, Talybont North, Talybont South and Talybont Court.
Map of Talybont North and Gate
This map is mostly self-explanatory, and it is very helpful when you move into the residences. It has two walking entrances: one from the residence side and one from the main entrance. However, the main entrance has a car gate as well, in case you have a car.
There is a limited parking facility available on site. Students must apply for a parking permit before moving in. Although a one day move-in parking permit is available for all, if you want to keep your car for your whole tenancy period then a paid parking permit must be bought beforehand. This parking permit is available on a first-come first-served basis, and your name will be added to the waiting list if no further spaces are available. Hence, applying early is the best option to avoid disappointment.
Talybont North has a large parking area, whereas Talybont Gate’s parking area is very limited and mostly reserved for the disabled students residing in the hall. Therefore, the Taly Gate students tend to also park in the Taly North parking area.
Talybont North Houses and Talybont Gate:
Talybont North houses are randomly given alphabetical order. They look almost the same and mostly have a similar structure inside and out. Walking inside the area gives great vibes, and it looks beautiful at night-time. Talybont Gate is a building with a combination of numerous flats.
Talybont Gate and North Launderette:
Talybont North and Gate share the same laundrette, which is located right in the centre of Talybont North, and it is, therefore, very accessible for all the students. Cardiff University uses the circuit laundrette services, which has made the washing particularly convenient. You just need to download the circuit laundrette mobile app, and it can be topped up with your normal debit card. It has the ability to show your laundry’s remaining time in each machine; therefore, you do not have to wait and can conveniently pick up your clothes when done.
A public phone booth is available right by the side of the laundrette. It is not very common to use it in today’s world, but it can be used in emergency situations or if you would like to experience the earlier way of calling. It can also be used by international students to capture that ‘must do’ picture of British phone booths!
Food and Shopping:
Talybont North and Gate are situated in the best place for food and shopping. McDonalds (Fig. 5) and KFC are just 2 min away, while for grocery shopping you have Tesco Extra, the biggest grocery store, also available at a 5 min walking distance. There is a retail park at a 5 min walking distance which has other stores like Aldi, Screwfix, Halfords. Hence, if you have a car you can access these stores, and there is a Tesco petrol station right by Tesco Extra where you can refill your car’s tank.
A Subway, Tesco Express and some other local takeaway shops are also situated on the back side of Talybont North. Therefore, if you are walking back from your lectures you can grab something from these places as it is very satisfying and quick.
Indoor Games and Gym
Talybont North and Gate are very lucky in terms of their close distance to the sports facilities. One of the university’s sports centres is located near Talybont North; the range of sports facilities include indoor cricket, badminton, squash, gymnastics, indoor football and basketball, etc. and a fully equipped gym. All the sports societies perform their training here. The courts can be booked individually by any student as well, so you could play your favourite sport anytime.
Outdoor Sports facilities
Again, if you are a lover of sports, Talybont North and Gate have got two 3G football pitches, a hockey AstroTurf, a basketball and handball outdoor court which are available to be booked and used at any time.
Additionally, you get to enjoy a great view from your room’s window when other players play on the football pitches. These sports facilities bring a very positive vibe to this accommodation because you get to see happy faces all around you.
Talybont Social Centre
Talybont North is blessed with everything you would want in your accommodation. The Talybont Social Centre is one of such blessings; it has got seating spaces and tables where you can sit and enjoy hanging out with your friends. Moreover, there is a facility inside the centre to play free table tennis or snooker! There are proper study pods available too; you can study in such pods if you do not want to study in your room or do not wish to walk far to reach the nearest library.
Other than that, you can get free coffee, tea and biscuits (specific times, usually from 6 PM - 9 PM) from Residence Life while you are studying or chatting with your friends. You will also find the Residence Life Assistants (RLAs) in the Social Centre at those times and can ask about any issues, personal or regarding the accommodation, and they will redirect you to the right university services to help solve your concern.
There are regular small events organised by the Residence Life Team, and they are all free of cost (some require free pre-registration). You can attend them and enjoy your time in Talybont North. There is also a movie night hosted every week on a big projector in the Social Centre; you can also request for a specific movie you would like them to play. Therefore, the Social Centre is a real asset for Talybont North that not many other accommodations have.
The Talybont reception is the place where you can ask for any accommodation related issues. The reception also deals with maintenance issues; if you have any problem you just need to report it to the reception, and you will be given a receipt and a predicted timeframe in which your issue will be resolved. Living necessity issues like hot water, no lights, etc. are solved on a priority basis.
The collection of your parcels is done at the reception. Talybont North reception does not accept any parcel other than Royal Mail. For other companies, you must arrange a collection time by yourself, and they will deliver the package to your house door.
Letters are not collected from the reception, but every Taly North student will be provided a key to collect from letter boxes. The former boxes are situated inside the Talybont Social Centre. Every flat has their own letter box and, hence, you can only open the correct addressed box with the key provided.
Tips for Talybont North and Taly Gate accommodation Students.
- Aldi is cheaper than Tesco Extra, but Tesco Extra has more variety. If you just want to go for basic shopping then Aldi is better, but if you want to find everything under one roof then visit Tesco Extra. Not many students know this, but Tesco Extra has a halal section and an international food section as well. Therefore, you do not necessarily need to go to city road to access international stores if you quickly want to get something.
- Talybont Social Centre is quieter in early mornings and late night - if you want to study in a more silent environment then choose these times.
- Talybont sports hall is very busy on Wednesdays and weekends; therefore, if you want to book on these days then please book in advance as quickly as possible.
- Use the Residence Life services and approach the RLAs because they are there for you. There are many services and support services available from Cardiff University that the RLAs are knowledgeable about and, hence, will be able to signpost you to the right team.
- Install the Safezone app on your phone. It is very helpful and will assist you in emergency situations.
- Keep a note of all the important numbers stuck on the back-door flap of your room’s wardrobe cupboard.
Lastly, if you need any specific information that is not provided in this guide, please contact the residences through email.
- Read Next
- North Campus Netflix & Hot Chocolate Dodgeball Tournament Talybont Netflix & Popcorn Cartwright Waffle Night Afternoon Tea at South Campus Sport Saturday at Uni Hall Board Game Night Coffee Lounge Effective Communication - tips on how to build, maintain and repair flat relationships Wellbeing Wednesday Workshops
- Catering in residences Meet the Team: Cartwright Court RLAs Vegan recipes to try: Pesto & vegetable tart Setting up a bank account Staying safe in halls with COVID Vegan recipes to try: Tofu 'egg' scramble Vegan recipes to try: Mushroom and pepper burgers First year survival guide for International Students How to...laundry Where to buy essential items