Setting up a bank account
Opening a UK bank account is an essential step that will allow you to withdraw money, make bank transfers and help you keep on top of your finances.
Picking a bank
In the UK there are lots of banks to choose from, and each has different offers for students. Consider the following before opening a bank account:
- Is the banking offering incentives? Such as a free railcard or subscriptions to educational materials
- Does the bank charge for international transfers or have a monthly charge for the account?
- Does the bank have comprehensive online support? Many banks have limited opening hours due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as a result being able to contact your bank remotely is really important because you might not be able to visit a local branch
Below you will find a table outlining transfer fees, extras and how to setup an account. In addition to the high street banks, there are also online banks that offer online banks accounts (not necessarily student specific) such as Monzo, Revolut or Starling.
Before you open a bank account
You need to make sure you have:
- Completed enrolment with the University
Information you will need to setup a bank account
- Your full name, home address, home telephone / mobile phone number number, your University and accommodation address
- Your passport
- Any secondary form of identification (such as your student ID card, birth certificate, driver’s license)
- An amount of money to deposit into the account (this will vary between banks)
These requirements may be slightly different across banks, so make sure you check what your bank requires before setting up an account. For more information about setting up a UK bank account check out this article.
- Read Next
- South campus student guide Talybont North student guide Talybont South student guide North Campus student guide Uni Hall student guide Cartwright Court student guide Meet the Team: Residence Life Coordinators Team Quiz Online Escape Room Movie Night
- Staying safe in halls with COVID Catering in residences Setting up a bank account Foolproof meal-prep recipes ANYONE can master Settling in FAQs Mentally preparing yourself for university... Time to start getting ready for uni! Where to buy essential items How to...laundry The essentials for your first food shop!