Backing Up - A Letter to the Past
The sun was shining high and the weather was pleasant on this particular Sunday morning! I woke up to the sound of birds chirping (my alarm) and had one look outside, that's when the warm rays of the sun inspired me to get out of my bed and freshen up. The first task on my to-do list was to convert video files and finish up some editing, while I was working on the tasks, my iMac had other plans. The heavy workload and programmes caused the screen to freeze and the laptop started heating up, with a prayer in hand and worry on my face I rebooted the laptop. It worked! But I lost all my data, I have decided to name it the "Sunday without God" phenomenon, the purpose of this brief story is to save you from the ominous phenomenon and to serve as a reminder of Cardiff university IT privileges/perks!
Perk 1: Free Microsoft OneDrive Storage!
Protect yourself from the "Sunday without God" phenomenon by taking full advantage of the free Microsoft OneDrive storage perk. OneDrive is a great way to back up your important files and photos as it enables registered users to share and synchronize.
Perk 2: Free antivirus software for both Windows and iOS users!
While COVID vaccines serve as the armour against the COVID-19 virus, the Sophos antivirus software can serve as the armour for your laptop or computer! Steps and instructions about the installation of Sophos are available on the student intranet page. Please refer to the university's Acceptable Use Policy for using the antivirus software.
Perk 3: Proofing Software
Proofreading can be time-consuming and when you've got last-minute deadlines, every minute counts! The university's IT services offer and recommend using Microsoft Editor.
Core features of Microsoft Editor include:
- three writing styles (Formal, Professional, Casual)
- corrections (Spelling, Grammar)
- refinements (Clarity, Conciseness, Formality, Inclusiveness, Perspectives, Punctuation Conventions, Sensitive Geopolitical References, Vocabulary)
Perk 4: Azure Dev Tools for Teaching
Staff and students in STEM schools (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) have access to Azure Dev Tools for Teaching. However, it is important to note that the services should only be used for academic instruction and research and NOT for commercial gain.
Here are a few of the software included in the subscription:
- Microsoft Access
- Advanced Threat Analytics (ATA)
- Agents for Visual Studio
- BizTalk Server
- Datazen Enterprise
- Read Next
- Easter Egg Painting Easter Bunny Making Egg-Decorating Navigating the Cost of Living Crisis How to avoid crypto scams Res Life Podcast - Episode 1 Spring Forward Welcome the Sun with a Sunflower Cartwright Study Lounge Uni Hall Weekly Events
- What to bring to uni? Talybont South student guide How to...report a maintenance issue Talybont North Student Guide How to...laundry Settling in FAQs Catering in Residences Meet the Team: Talybont RLAs Where to buy essential items University Hall Student Guide