5 healthy smoothie recipes to start your day
Using only 5 ingredients and a blender, you can begin your day with one of these 4 delicious, filling and nutritional smoothies!
(Recipes for 2 people)
1. Berries and Oats Smoothie
- 1 cup of frozen berries
- 1 frozen banana (sliced)
- ½ cup of vanilla yoghurt
- ¼ cup of rolled oats
- ½ cup of orange juice
Key Ingredient: Berries are filled with folates and powerful antioxidants that promote healthy skin and hair, whilst lowering cholesterol by unclogging your arteries.
2. Banana and Chocolate Smoothie
- 1 cup of milk
- 3 teaspoons of cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons of peanut butter
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
Key Ingredient: Rich in potassium and fibres, bananas play an essential role in lowering blood pressure and improving digestive health. They are also filled with tryptophan, a chemical known to help overcome depression.
3. Green Smoothie
- 1 cup of spinach
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 2 apples
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 kiwi (sliced)
Key Ingredient: Spinach is a major superfood which strengthens your bones, boosts your immune system by acting as a virus repellant, and provides the iron and antioxidants needed to combat both anaemia and diabetes.
4. Beetroot and Apple Smoothie
- 2 raw beets
- 2 apples
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup of spinach/kale
- 1 tablespoon of ginger
Key Ingredient: Beetroots (beets) are bursting with vital nutrients, in particular high inorganic nitrates, that support you in maintaining a healthy heart and improving your athletic performance and brain function.
A cup of ice cubes can be added to any of the above smoothies. You can also sprinkle a dash of cinnamon, honey or chia seeds for a bit of extra flavour.
- Read Next
- Draw, Paint and De-stress! Series Recommendations for Down Time! Upcoming Therapeutic Groups Mental Health Meet Up Time for a Memory Quiz! 5 apps that your uni email gives you extended access to Small changes to reduce your plastic consumption Online Ramadan Iftar 5 jaw dropping hikes around South Wales Women's History Month in Review
- Meet the Team: Cartwright Court RLAs Vegan recipes to try: Pesto & vegetable tart Setting up a bank account Staying safe in halls with COVID Vegan recipes to try: Tofu 'egg' scramble How to...laundry Vegan recipes to try: Mushroom and pepper burgers Catering in residences First year survival guide for International Students Where to buy essential items